Recent blog posts
- Are you taking the appropriate dosage of ibuprofen?
- Running Mechanics
- Ice or Heat: The Great Debate
- Your Mom Did Say Sit Up Straight!!! Mom Always Right
- A Feat of Strength
- Concussed!! It's Your Brain.. But What is Delayed Symptoms
- Baseball Throwing Programs to Prevent Injury
- SMART Goals
- Cold Weather Warm Up Prior to Exercise
- What is YOUR goal?
Going Green for your health, bank account and WORLD
Going green can be better for your health, bank account, and the WORLD!
The Green Movement has been around for years and we all are aware that our choices affect our health, environment and planet. But, “going green” has many more benefits such as being healthier, more active, reducing stress, reducing spending and many more. You don’t have a change everything at once either. A few simple changes can make a great difference. Below are a few options that you can try. Remember, there are almost 7 billion people (plus/minus a few) in the world so if we all make small changes the end result will be substantial.
1. Carpool – most cars on the road have 1 occupant. Try carpooling with your spouse, neighbor, co-worker or friend just once per week. This will save you gas/money, decrease commuter stress and increase quality time with family.
2. Mass Transit - try using a bus or light rail just once per week. Some employers will even pay for a portion of a monthly pass. Again, this will decrease commuter stress, allow you to do work or read, and save you gas/money.
3. Walk – try switching one car-trip for a walk instead. If you drive to the gym, try walking instead just once per week. Or, take the kids on a walk to the store to pick up items for dinner.
4. Buy local produce – locally grown produce has traveled fewer miles (less gas/oil consumption) and is made by your neighbors. You are supporting the local economy, reducing greenhouse gasses and eating what is in season. Plus, it will be much more fresh and healthy!
5. Reduce paper use – in most public bathroom we have the choice between paper towels and air driers. Skip the paper and use the hand drier instead. It may take a few seconds longer but you will save a lot of paper in the long run. Recently, our clinic switched to a hand drier. This will save our clinic money and save trees!!
6. Skip the dryer – In Colorado the climate is so dry that clothes will dry in 1hour outside. Set up is simple and there are a lot of options for clothes hangers. This will save money and reduce your gas/electric bill. The world’s 7billion people will thank you.
7. Drink water – drinking enough water is essential to your health. Make sure you have a reusable bottle that you can keep in the car so you never run out. Making this easy and convenient will reduce the likelihood of buying bottled water. Again, saving money and reducing waste.
8. Plant a garden – with a little work, water and sun you can have a healthy garden all summer long. Seed packets start at 99cents and produce a bounty of produce. One packet of green pepper seeds costs as much as one green pepper from the store! Not only is this a great way to save money but this produce is pesticide free, and does not have to be shipped!!
9. Reduce water sprinkling – your yard is trainable! That’s right, you can train your lawn to deal with less water. If you use a sprinkler system, try reducing the time and the frequency of watering. Your lawn will adapt to less water and use it more efficiently, saving you money and reducing water consumption!
Benefits of going green